Friday, May 3, 2013

Episode 15: Buckle Up!

First of all, I would just like to apologize. I know I am a little late posting this, but better late than pregnant, amirite?

...ahem.

Anyway, I would like to make up my tardiness to you in the form of a longer post. Mostly because I feel like I owe you all, but also in part because I keep making a note of things I want to write about, then trying to pick and choose a few to write about each week, which never really works out. So before I forget all the things I made a note of, I'm just going to spew them all out in what I hope turns out to be a semi-coherent jumble of thoughts. So buckle up. This post is going to be a doozy (what a great and underused word).

So first things first, I am through with classes. I know, it's freaking weird. I have finals next week, and then my first year of college is over. I am SO excited to be home, so I can see everyone, spend time with my family, and then ship off to scenic Seminole, Oklahoma to be a camp counselor for eight weeks. That was a joke, by the way, there's like a Braum's and a Wal-Mart in Seminole and that's about it. Regardless, I love St. Crispin's with all my heart, and I can't wait to be out there. And, you know, making money is always a plus.

Speaking of finals, I did some studying today in the basement of my dorm today. You hear that mom? I studied. Well, it wasn't so much studying at it was working. In place of an actual test, my final in my music theory class is a composition assignment. We're given a 16-bar chord structure, then we have to fill in the chords in a pattern of our choosing, then write a melody on top of it. So it's like composing with training wheels. I didn't realize how much effort it would take, though. Not necessarily because it's hard or overly challenging, it's just that I'm really picky about my composition assignments, and everything has to sound exactly like I want it (in all my expert composition knowledge). It took me like 15 minutes to nail down one measure (which still isn't done) because I didn't like the way the bass chords sounded. This is going to be a lot more effort than I thought. But back to the basement. Today was like the first day I had ever gone down to the basement to study, or even just hangout. Which sucks, because I had a really great time down there and there's only a week of school left (which still baffles me). It was just instant acceptance. Granted, I knew a few people already from frisbee, but the basement dwellers just treated me as one of their own, talking to me and cracking jokes, even if I didn't know them all. They're good people, those basement folk. If any of you are reading, you are all wonderful people, and I will probably be down sometime tomorrow.

Just to be clear, there are actual dorm rooms in the basement. It's not like an isolated community of squatters. That would be really weird.

SUBJECT CHANGE!

So I saw Iron Man 3 tonight. Holy. Crap. It was SO GOOD people. SO. GOOD. I really enjoyed it. Robert Downey, Jr. is just such a fantastic actor, and he plays the role of Tony Stark SO well. And there were so many awesome, action-packed scenes. But it is a superhero movie, so you would kind of expect that. But I'm not here to play movie critic, especially because I don't want to give out any spoilers or anything for those of you who haven't seen it, which I highly recommend you remedy immediately. At the end of the movie, as with any movie, the credits rolled. Being a Marvel movie, you have to stay for the credits because of the fun little Easter eggs at the end. And I was looking at them, and I was kind of taken aback at just how many people worked on this movie. I mean, there was a point where the entire screen was just covered in names. Names on names. Names for days. And then I got to thinking. I know that, for the people who worked on the movie, that's really exciting. They have documented evidence that they, in fact, worked on this movie. And they can point out their name to their friends and family and prospective one-night stands, and that's a wonderful thing. But honestly, what average person is going to see two different movies, read the credits, and recognize that the assistant lighting manager was the same for both movies? Nobody. I mean you don't just meet a person, and then say, "Wait. I know that name from somewhere...ohmygosh! You were makeup artist #4 for that one movie! I absolutely LOVED your work. The way Emma Stone (what a babe)'s blush was so perfectly applied was just movie magic." I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, it's just I don't know what that's going to get them in life. You know what? Let's start an IMDB offshoot designed to credit those who worked behind the scenes, for all those obscure people who would otherwise go unnoticed in society. That would make playing Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon a lot more interesting.

SUBJECT CHANGE!

I saw this commercial the other day, and I don't exactly remember what it was for. But I think it featured some sort of family scene (it was a while ago, so bear with me). And at the end of the commercial, it was all, "such and such company, proud sponsor of the word home." Is...is that a thing now? We can do that? Sponsor words? In that case, I am launching a campaign. I am sponsoring the more widespread use of the words "copious," "doozy," and "immaculate," as well as the addition of "muchness" and "suckitude" into the dictionary. This is a cause I'm very passionate about, and one I hope receives the muchness of support I truly believe it deserves. I know this issue has caused a lot of uproar in the linguistic community, and I know as well as anyone how much of a doozy it is, but I really think that we can get this to pass. For all of you immaculate people interested, there will be a Kickstarter for this cause up shortly, and expect copious amounts of financial aid to come pouring in. If we can't back this cause and allow it to succeed, we are paving the way for preposterous levels of suckitude, and nobody wants that. Every penny counts, people.

Well that about wraps up this week's episode. I feel that there has been an adequate amount of content. If you disagree, there's always next week, so make sure you come back for the next episode of Let's Play: Life! And remember kids, don't drop the soap! Because that stuff is really slippery. You're gonna have a hard time picking it back up.

*This post was brought to you by the Austin Lawhorn Linguistic Equality Foundation, proud sponsor of your uncle's toenail clippings*

No comments:

Post a Comment