What.
And I only have one more week of classes.
What.
I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around this fact. One whole year of my college career is (almost) finished. That is SO crazy. Before I know it, two years will have gone by. Three years. Four years. Now I'm an adult.
WHAT.
You mean to tell me that in 3 years I'll actually have to go out and get a job and be responsible and not play video games all the time? Yeah, I'm not sure I'm okay with that. If we could just put a hold on this whole life thing, that would be swell. There's so much I still want to do! Do you know how many video games will have come out by the time I graduate? And how many will come out while I'm busy being an adult and stuff? What am I supposed to do, not play them?
In all seriousness, there's so much I want to do, so many experiences I want to have. I want rent an old VW van and go on a road trip with friends. I want to go on a food tour, where all I do is drive around the country eating at places featured on Man vs. Food and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I want to (as weird as it sounds) model for a completely casual photo shoot. I want to have my own YouTube channel with my very own subscribers. I want to go rob a bank and take hostages!
Just making sure you're still paying attention.
This is supposed to be the time of my life (and it really has been, so far) but I feel like it's going by so fast. I actually saw a post on reddit where someone had said that by the time you hit your early 20s, half of your life in terms of your perception of time will have gone by. Half. Commence the mid-life crisis.
Quick side note: If any of you want an explanation as to why that is, check out this video:
I promise, there's no virus involved, and no pop-ups telling you how to enlarge your...well...you know.
Just click the link, kay?
SUBJECT CHANGE!
I love music. Like, LOVE it.
But you already knew that.
So one of my favorite bands EVAR is Relient K. Their music is just so...well, I don't really possess the vocabulary necessary to fully illustrate just how magnificent their music truly is. And that's saying something. I just used a lot of big words.
If you saw my rant on Facebook, you know where this is going. But for those of you who did not, I'll say it again.
So recently, I found out that Ethan Luck, John Warne, and Jon Shneck, three of Relient K's members, will not be touring with the band in the upcoming tour. When I first got the news, I freaked out. No, seriously. I was devastated. I was like, "OHMYGODOHMYGODMYFAVORITEBANDINTHEWHOLEWIDEWORLDISBREAKINGUP
WHATDOIDOWHATDOIDO."
Just like that.
Well, my brother had actually texted me about Ethan, so I went and looked it up for myself. Then, I proceeded to freak out. Just like that. The thought of life without the music of my favorite band crushed me. I had just seen them in concert in August! What went wrong? What did I do to deserve this? Tears (the manliest goddamn tears you've ever seen) were on the verge of being shed.
And then there was hope.
The next day, Relient K posted a link to this video:
Click that. No, really. Click it. Now. You don't have an option. That first link, I couldn't care less if you clicked it or not. But this one, you will click. I'm not writing anymore until you click it. Did you click it yet? Don't you lie to me. You did? Great. On with the show.
The first time I listened to the song, a single tear of joy (the manliest goddamn tear you've ever seen) trickled down my face right there at the end. Partly because I loved the song so much, partly because the last lyric of the song hit me smack dab in the feels. But mostly because I realized, in that moment, that no matter what, I will always have Relient K. All the albums, the concerts, the self-made harmonies, the memories will always be with me. And it doesn't matter if Ethan, John, and Jon leave the band, either temporarily or permanently. There will still be a Relient K, at least for the time being. They've gotten a drummer and a bassist to play with them on tour, and the new album (for which I am SO excited) is still coming out, although the release was pushed back to July. This song made me realize that people are always changing. Life is always changing. And you can lament about the past, or you can look to the future. This song embodies the evolution of this band and their sound over time, and showed me that Relient K will always be Relient K, even if only in my heart.
And you know what? I think that's a great metaphor for life. Sure, times change. Sure, I'm getting older and have to be an adult soon. But that's life. People grow up. They change. They adapt. While sometimes and might look back and think, if only I could relive this one moment, I know that there is much more out there waiting for me in the future, and so much I'm going to do and accomplish. I might not know exactly what the future holds, but I sure am ready to find out!
And that's where I'll leave you today. See what I did there? Nice surprise ending. It actually tied the two posts together. Bet you didn't see that one coming. Boom.
Anyway, thanks for tuning in for this week's episode of Let's Play: Life. As always, come back next Thursday for more! And remember kids, don't you blink, or it's gone! See you next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment